DISCLAIMER... THIS IS IN JEST!! There won't be an abundance of detail, nor can or will I cover every possible scenario, and I'm deliberately leaving the war alone *grin* so please don't write me saying I suck or anything like that... let's keep it lighthearted in the manner it was meant, mmkay?
It seems to me, that President Obama is making a right mess of things, that could, quite simply, be very, very easy.
And, just so you know, Obama in Xanga's spell check gave the option of Opium. I find that hilarious.
I thought, just for fun, I'd take a couple of the most contentious issues at present, and give my ideas on how to, hopefully, keep everybody happy. Remember, I'm not a proficient on your laws nor your constitution, so if I step on anyones toes, I beg off through ignorance. I also realise I'm not a natural born citizen. But heck, the last I heard, they're trying to change that so Arnie can get in. That tickles me more than you will ever know.
One thing I am under the assumption of, and please forgive me if I am wrong, but there aren't a lot of NATIONAL laws, just mostly state by state ones. To me, having grown up where I have, this is strange, to say the least. You are the UNITED states of America, after all... it would make sense if you all agreed on a few things *grin*
NATIONALLY illegal. It's murder, from a scientific standpoint, end of story. Roe v Wade overturned (not sure exactly how to do that, but it's my pretend presidency, so there *grin*) If discovered, both mother and father (and anyone else, if it is discovered they aided and abetted) will be held, and convicted on murder charges, along with the conductor of the abortion.
Circumstances where the mother will die if she doesn't receive immediate medical attention which will in all likelihood kill the child (non self inflicted injuries that require surgery, for example) is to be weighed heavily, but will be excused if found an imperative measure. Mental stability, or inconvenience to lifestyle is not a viable option to abort a child.
SUING BECAUSE MC DONALDS MADE YOU FAT ETC
I will implement a National Wall of Shame, broadcast on prime time tv every week for anyone who makes any stupid, nonsensical lawsuit. Any judge dumb enough to award in favour of these lawsuits will be removed from their stature and told to go back to law school. Coffee is supposed to be hot, dumbass.
I propose a NATIONAL law for murder and its counterparts (Manslaughter 1 to however many, and the 3 levels of murder). This will eliminate state-hopping, and have a known fair and final punishment for your crime.
As I am personally opposed to the Death Penalty on moral, ethical and religious grounds, I feel this would require a referendum to see what "we the people" feel about it. Personally, it might be nice to be on the same page with the rest of the free world about it. Just an observation. The referendum would include options such as (all depending on degree) "no to death penalty but yes to rest of life without parole", "yes for every instance", "yes, but only for multiple murders", "yes for obviously-flat-out-can't-get-out-of-it pre meditated". Obviously, it would be written much, much more intelligently.
BUILDING HOUSES OUT OF TIMBER IN TORNADO COUNTRY
Truly, this boggles my mind. I will never forget this one guy telling how he survived Katrina by hiding in the concrete room he built under his house, like it was some amazing thing. The rest of the house disintegrated but he lived. WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM THIS, PEOPLE?
Building regulations will be toughened, and all houses in affected areas will be required to be built to code, ie concrete and steel. Caravans/trailers are not acceptable or safe dwellings in these areas. You can learn a lot from the people in Darwin, Australia. It will be the state government job to source/build safe welfare housing, of which people may apply for and obtain if they qualify.
Whoo boy, this is an interesting one. The United States is the only wealthy country not to have a national healthcare system. I don't see why it can't be possible if every person earning a wage gave a few dollars every paycheck to a National Healthcare Levy. With the amount of people in the country, this should be sufficient, along with whatever is in the national budget every year towards health, to buoy a healthcare plan that works for everyone.
Stop being afraid of it being 'socialised". It's taking care of everyone, regardless of their lot in life. It's not a bad thing.
Of course, you may still have private health care if you wish. But you will also be able to go to the hospital without fear of your policy not covering, and not stress out if you lose your job. However, with a healthcare plan that works, it should keep the private companies honest, and more than willing to help, because they'll know that you don't need them. Should also bring the costs down. And that's always a good thing
The National Healthcare plan would cover certain things, like public hospital stays, all necessary procedures/treatments/operations/medication while in hospital, chemo, radiation and care, REGARDLESS of your "contribution to society" (which constitutional thingie was that again? "All men are created equal"?) Elective surgery and its requirements like hospital stays etc is not covered. You want bigger boobs or no facial expression? Cough it up.
Pride will be sucked up and talks will be had with Australia, France, Canada and Britain to see how they do it to a largely successful extent. The pros and cons will be discussed, and hopefully, the cons can be overcome, without a large tax/levy increase.
THE WORLD SERIES
Unless you actually invite, you know, other countries to join in, the name will be changed to something more appropriate like The American Baseball Series.
THE COLLEGE VOTE SYSTEM
Is dumb and will be abolished. It was, as far as I'm aware, put in place to keep the Rabble at bay, and make sure the Rich people got who they wanted in. Hardly seems fair. So, from now on, 1 vote= well... exactly that. Majority wins, people.
I also propose mandatory voting. It violates no rights as far as can tell. If anything, it assists your free speech. Seeing as though you are required to give it. I mean, really...for heaven's sake... for once someone actually cares about your opinion on a grand scale! I know people who'd give their right eye for that! How can you possibly have a fair ballot if not every one votes? Seriously. It could be your vote that wins it! If it means that much to you, don't show and cop the $25 dollar fine for not doing it. (Oh yeah... I'll implement that too. I'll stick it in the health budget.) Of course, if you are unable to vote, there is a way to go about getting let off. But you'd want to be in hospital, or prison. Or a coffin. Be UNITED, people. Everyone have their say. Then you actually have the right to complain if your candidate didn't get in.
And while we're on it, let's get rid of those stupid machines that either don't work, or stuff up the counting. All you need is a) a piece of paper with the candidates and a box next to their name b) a pencil and c) a box to put it in. Archaic, I know. But pretty much fool proof. Go to the voting place, get your name crossed off, and go stand in the ballot box and just scribble on the anonymous piece of paper. Drop it in the box. Done! You then have an army of people to count the ballots and put them in piles of say, 50. Then you add them up. May take a little longer, but it won't kill you. Patience is a virtue!
These will be brought up to everyone elses standards. At present, a US 0 is an everywhere-else 4. People, you are fatter than you think. Get used to it.
Come to think of it, a size 0 is ridiculous. A size nothing? Even Lindsay Lohan at her lightest filled out a garden hose.
Fan of it myself, but as a large proportion of the country is not, I propose the following NATIONAL laws. Again, this will eliminate state-hopping to obtain something you aren't allowed in your state.
I will not take away your right to own a weapon. Never the belief or intention.
1. You may not obtain a gun licence until you are 21 years of age. If you aren't deemed responsible or smart enough to drink alcohol until then, I'm certainly not going to give you a firearm.
2. You may not purchase a weapon of any sort unless you have a licence. Licenses will need to be renewed on a two yearly basis. The process to obtain a licence will be extensive. Gun licenses are to be obtained from the police, not the weapon shop, and they will also do a background history check as part of the procedure. You will be required to give your reasons for owning a weapon. Should anything untoward arise during the check, you will be asked to fill out vast amounts of paperwork explaining why you should be allowed to own a weapon. So, basically, you'd better really want one.
3. You must provide evidence of a secure gun safe within your home. Guns must be stored, unloaded, at all times within this safe.
4. You will need to have your licence before you can order or purchase a weapon or ammunition. You must produce it at the store, and it will be checked out before you make your purchase.
5. There will be a limit on a) how many weapons each individual may own and b) how many weapons each household may have on the premises at anyone time. This will be determined on your circumstances (ie: personal security firearms vs farm weapons etc.)
6. Every firearm must be registered under your name at your local police station.
7. I am not convinced that semi automatic weapons are necessary for hunting, farming or personal security. I firmly believe that fully automatic weapons are unsafe and unnecessary to any regular citizen, and belong only in the armed forces. As the argument has been used that the reason the Nazi's didn't invade Switzerland because every household had a rifle (not semi-automatic), one could also argue that that firearm alone would be sufficient to stop a home invasion in the US. As this is a personal opinion, I propose a referendum to ask the people whether semi automatic weapons (including concealable firearms) are VITAL to their security/hobby/professional needs. Should the answer be yes, then I believe the criteria for owning a semi automatic and/or concealable weapon should be much more rigorous.
8. Firearms and ammunition will no longer be readily available at Wal*Mart, KMART, or other "family" stores. Guns and the paraphenalia that goes along with them may only be sold at a fully licensed weaponry/gun/hunting shops
GIVING CELEBRITIES AIRTIME TO VOICE POLITICAL OPINIONS LIKE THEY MATTER
Seriously. These people play "let's pretend" for a living, most of the women haven't eaten for a decade, and they all have people who tell them what to wear. I saw a documentary once where Christina Aguilera has some one physically dressing her to go out on the town. And doing up her shoes. Hardly the people I'd ask for advice on anything, let alone who I should vote for. Giving them their own t.v show is especially stupid. *cough* theview *cough*
They have PR people to say everything else for them. Why can't they apply the same principal?
So, they aren't allowed to. So there.
Did I miss anything? *grin*
Anyway, I'm pretty sure people have objections to some, if not most of it :) And I don't mind a bit if you wouldn't vote for me :) But it was fun, being president for a day *grin*